For those who like to maintain a bronzed look without the dangers of the sun’s ultraviolet rays, and the risks associated with a traditional tanning bed, spray tans, and DIY tanning lotions are the safest alternatives.
To avoid looking like a carrot, and making a complete mess of yourself, using the services of a spray tanning salon will give you that golden glow and a result that is much safer and kinder to your skin.
Spray tanning is also the perfect solution for those who have skin that never seems to tan in the ‘traditional’ way and those who burn easily.
There is nothing worse then, than forking out money and only having it wash away down the drain. Knowing the tricks of the trade to maintaining your new bronzed-look will keep you glowing for longer.
Let’s uncover 12 simple ways to make a spray tan last longer.
How Long Does A Spray Tan Generally Last?
A spray tan generally lasts anywhere from 4-10 days depending on how well you prepare your skin and then how well you maintain it.
How To Make A Spray Tan Last Longer
1. Avoid Water: Not the drinking kind, the showering kind. Once your new spray tan is applied, you need to avoid contact with water for at least 6-8 hours. Overnight is best. This allows for the tan to properly develops.
2. First Shower: Your first shower that you take should really be more than a ‘rinse’ and try not to shower more than once a day.
3. Avoid Soaps and Loofahs: Try to avoid using regular soaps and particularly harsh scrubbing loofahs. Try to get your hands on DHA-friendly products that will not harm your tan.
4. Pat Dry: Remember to pat your skin dry; do not rub it.
5. Moisturize: Moisturize regularly to keep your skin soft and hydrated.
6. Avoid Exercise: For at least the first 24 hours, stay away from exerting yourself in a way that will cause you to sweat.
7. Shaving and Exfoliating: Keep any required shaving to a minimum and if you feel you need to exfoliate, only do so very lightly to help remove dead skin cells.
8. Avoid Swimming & Spas: Chemicals and chlorine in swimming pools and spas can cause your tan to fade prematurely so for at least 24 hours avoid.
Spray Tan Skin Preparation Tricks
9. Moisturize: Moisturize your whole body for a few days leading up to your tanning session.
10. Shave: Shave your legs and any other areas of your body on the day before otherwise you may end up with a spotty look as your skin pores will be open if you do it on the day.
11. Exfoliate: Exfoliate/Scrub your body and work on any dry patches like your elbows, ankles and knees.
12: What to avoid: Avoid perfume, deodorant and make-up on the day you have your tan.
Will spray tan protect me from getting a sunburn?
No, definitely not. If you go out into the sun you must always wear protection. The good part about having a spray tan however is that you may not be tempted to sun bake.
Did You Know?
Your spray tan will possibly look slightly different every time. Why? Simply because your skin is a living organ that can effected by many elements such as what you eating, how it is maintained and even the weather at the time.
Fake Tanning Hints And Tips
- You can always grab some touch up product or tinted moisturizer
- Avoid white clothes for at least the first 24 hours
- Drink lots of water to keep yourself and your skin hydrated
- If you are applying fake tan yourself, use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process
- Never apply to your palms or fingers
- Keep some cotton tips on hand to quickly wipe up any ‘mistakes’